One of the joys of writing modern fantasy is the things my characters complain about. Milos occasionally rails against R. A. Salvatore books (though not by name); Blake has just informed me he doesn’t think ljusalfa really count as a minority because, thanks to Tolkien, everyone fawns over them. He says Tolkien clearly was hanging around places he shouldn’t in an unsavoury manner.
As you may be able to guess, my Singer/Songwriter characters have named themselves. Blake (pictured right) is the songwriter dokkalfa; Marcus is the singer ljusalfa. I disagree with both names, but then, I disagreed with Milos’s too and look where that got me. At least I got my way over his surname, but who even knows what his original surname would’ve been if his parents hadn’t moved to London?
It’s my first week of accountability, so let’s see how things went…
- I finished and posted the short story I wrote for Story-Bat’s Secret Scribble Santa. It’s called Wintertide Gifts and, thankfully, the recipient seemed happy with it. (It’s also straight, which was very odd to write; kept writing ‘him’ instead of ‘her’ and luckily only failed to catch it once, so thanks to site owner Ashielf for the read-through!)
- I’ve not finished the beat sheet for the Singer/Songwriter story, but I transcribed my notes into Scrivener and arranged them into where they should be for the beat sheet, which has given me a road map to around 1/3 of the story as well as helped me figure out what the overreaching arc needs to be.
- Bonus round! I’ve started on the first chapter! Life being what it is, actually being able to write it has proven difficult — I think I used up my supply of luck getting the gift story finished to be honest — but at least I’ve started. I’m currently 1,341 words into it (and Marcus has upset Blake already).
- Finished Into The Deep and very much enjoyed it. I’m not often a pirate fiction fan for some reason, but the relationship between hapless Lamark and Yuvie the merman was adorable. I haven’t settled on what to read next. Probably one of the ones I started and then put down last year.
- Xmas decorations down! It took, as expected, quite a long time… and then they had to be packed and stacked into the garage. Seem to have accumulated two extra boxes of them somehow…!
Sketch a picture of Marcus.Nope. But I do keep looking at my sketch of Blake and being amused. I may enjoy drawing grumpy dokkalfa more than I ought.
- I’ve done very little gaming. I started playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch, but again it’s not something I got uninterrupted time for. But I started, which is more than I expected.
- Finished up with 43 hours of work.
Goals for next week coming tomorrow!