An odd week this week. At one point I wilfully forewent an easy afternoon in favour of a solid five hours of work. Made me very glad I now finish at 6pm instead of 9pm…
It’s also been a week of random research, mostly into the Cornish language (Kernewek), since Blake’s surname was voted to be Saint-Ives, and dokkalfa usually have the surnames of the city or town they first registered. Mostly I was trying to find a Cornish word for ‘elf,’ except there doesn’t appear to be one. There’s ‘ælf’ cropping up a few times in place names, but those are the same across the country. Of an actual folklore term? Not a sign of it. The closest I could find in terms of folklore-closeness was the ‘Small People’ (pobel vean), and then got ranted at by Blake in my head, because it turns out he’s a bit touchy about only being 5’6″…
I recommend a Google Maps stroll around St. Ives though, it’s a beautiful place.
- I have indeed finished the first chapter of Singer/Songwriter. Draft zero (a term coined by my awesome friend Anika Daniels, whose website I would link if she had one) is on Patreon. One day I’ll figure out the WordPress/Patreon link so it can look slightly better than Patreon makes things. Why can’t you have more formatting options, Patreon? Why?
- I have also started the second chapter of the Singer/Songwriter story, so that’s a win too.
- I have, however, so far failed to come up with any kind of useful name for it. I’ve not really had the time nor the spoons to think about it, to be honest. I’m terrible at naming things. There’s a reason Gabrys is still called Gabrys a few years later…
- I finished The Ritual. I didn’t start until Wednesday or so, but after that I couldn’t put it down. It has very short chapters, which makes the reading experience slightly peculiar: at 85% of the way through the book, you’re on Chapter Sixty-Five. I can’t remember reading a book that wasn’t disturbingly massive epic fantasy or sci-fi that has so many chapters before. Considering I read it in lieu of watching the movie, I’m now very confused about how they managed to make it a movie in the first place.
- My strawberry Shiba Inu is still only a head, so a fail on that front.
- Sorry Marcus. I drew and coloured Blake instead.
- 38 and a half hours of day job instead.
- Bonus round: I listened to a lot of indie music on Spotify too. Technically for research, but I’ll always have a soft spot for it. I tried listening to indie rock too, but whoever curated the Indie Rock Playlist has funny ideas about what’s indie: it contained, among others, The Hives, Franz Ferdinand and The Kaiser Chiefs. Apparently to some people, indie means instead not American, which is depressing.
- Bonus round part 2: figured out and fixed an issue with WordPress and cron jobs. Basically, if you schedule posts and they keep missing their posting times, it’s because WordPress only runs a cron operation when someone visits your site. If no one visits your site *cough* then it won’t run. There are plugins to fix it, or you can get technical and fiddle with its specialised settings in cpanel. As I’m lazy these days, I went for the plugin. This post gets to be the guinea pig!